Tuesday, January 15, 2008

sinking in.

I'm pretty mad while I'm typing this right now. I have no real reason, I just feel mad. I started the job at Stanley Korshak yesterday and it went really well. The place is amazing, huge, and the people are really friendly. I'm just the new girl. I stand around asking to help and watching people do their jobs and then the real employees give me little jobs to do...like fold, go get mail from their box, pick up shipments, fetch beverages for clients...you know. I'm the intern. At least I'm doing a boring job in a beautiful place, right?

Well, it certainly is beautiful. Full of very nice employees and very snobby clients. Seriously, these people are from a different planet. I bring one of the salespeople a beer for their client (the only beer I found in 2 of the fridges...) "oh, he doesn't drink domestic beer, sweetheart, get the [foreign one in a green bottle]". OH, I WASN'T AWARE THAT PEOPLE LIKE THAT EXISTED...I'M FROM AUSTIN. Y'all, I'm not kidding, I'm the hillbilly of the whole place. 
I'm taking it all out on this job unfairly, though. I don't loathe Stanley Korshak. People there are very sweet to me and the opportunity is incredible. About 3 minutes ago I realized that I am mad because I see no end in sight. Correction: I see no end, that I want to see, in sight. What gets me through sucky days like this is the fact that I have a life separate from the sucky day. I'll be able to just go home and sit with Boston, or make up some fun plans with girlfriends, or just sit and watch CSI with Brady. Today I came home to my parents and Grandma. I love them, I do. But when I explain my irritations, I hear, "well, that's just your internship, it's preparing you for the real job." Or, I'll get reprimanded for saying "frickin". I'm pretty sure my mom almost got out a wooden spoon (whilst giving me the look of death) because she thought I said the real F word. Of course my Grandma agreed with her, "oh yes, I did hear her say the real F word." Whatever. My life is no longer my own. The end that is in sight is the end of my internship and the beginning of a great new job. But the end that I wish with all my heart was in sight is a time when I can see all my friends again. The end where I don't have to be far away and I can say "frickin" whenever the frick I want. The end where I know exactly when the next kiss with Brady will happen. Now I just don't know when all that will be. And Boston is sitting in my mom's lap right now.

I miss you. 

5 comments:

April said...

well frick. i wish i could kiss it and make it all better! you'll get through it though, you always come through on the other side shining! Your coworkers will get to know you and when they do, your hillbilliness is one of the many things they will adore :) but heather and i are loners in frickin austin and you are more than welcome to come and visit whenever the frick you want to. i frickin miss you. and love you :*

Heather said...

April is right, we hang out with each other and that is it....did I mention hanging out consists of sitting at one or the others apartments. HAH. Yes I agree with April, keep it up, it will get better! That is what they keep telling me as I continually get more things added to my to do list. And yes, do come with IVY!

Shivonne said...

laura...i just read your blog and began to bawl. seriously. this is exactly how i feel. my family keeps asking me about plans for london and how my day went and all i can do is think about you girls, how amazing our time together has been, and wallow in the fact that we are apart for now. but i know you are an AWESOME girl, a fabulous fashionista, and fun to be with no matter where you are. you will make it through this transitional time and come out stronger on the other side. i can't wait to see you again...i love you!!!

Dani Dias said...

so im probably your most pessimistic friend. i have a personal theory that i live by... i look at the worse possible thing that could happen, and that way i am always pleasantly surprised...(because 90% of the time the worse is not going to happen at all). be mad, get angry and then think of how many friends that you have everywhere that love you and are rooting for your success. a semester away... what is a semester in the course of a lifetime-- just a little blip on the radar. right now it might suck at times, heck even if it sucks the whole semester, you still come out on top because you had this experience. At least you are not off in another state doing menial tasks in a strange city, and none of this is probably helping... all i know to do is to offer how i try to look at things. (which might be the wrong way?? who knows!!) life is crazy and my main point was actually not going to be about the work at all, it was to say that i love you and miss you and am so thankful for you... I was sooo sick yesterday on my birthday that i didnt talk to anyoneeee ha, but it was so nice to hear your voice and thank you sooo much for the happy wishes, i DEFINITELY want to get sushi with you... love you miss you girl

Ivy said...

i changed my thing to ivyjanitxza.blogspot.com so you have to change the link in your profile yo.