Friday, May 8, 2009

so i have this crazy idea...

last night i went to a coffee shop called crooked tree with my friend joshulyn. we just sat and sipped and read our books and had a lovely time. i had such a happy and peaceful feeling just sitting on the couch, it was downright inspiring. as we were leaving, joshulyn says, "i think it would be so cool to own a place like this and just run it." i say, "YES! that is a dream of mine." i then get in my car and start thinking, why not?


and i haven't stopped thinking about it since. 

these days, we are under such pressure to work hard in school and get the best job you can and climb the corporate ladder. our generation has a heavy sense of entitlement and success is directly related to salary or position. our parents have been telling us, "you can do WHATEVER you want, you can be the BEST you can be." interpretation: you have the potential to have the best (respectable) JOB. while my parents did fuel the fire in that regard, my dad also stressed the importance of LOVING what you do. he says, "if you get up in the morning and dread going to work, that's a problem." don't get me wrong, i love my job. it has been the perfect fresh-out-of-college, learning, growing, maturing position for me. i won't be putting in my 2-weeks notice in the near future...

i realized that i have gotten everything i have ever WORKED for: this job. 
think about it: while you are a student, all you are concerned about is graduating to the next grade level. in high school, it's all about busting your ass to get in to the college you want (for me, i worked HARD to get in to Texas). once i got there, i chose a major and went for it. those 4 years i spent at UT i was, among other things, working towards a degree that will get me a job. so, my first 22 years of life i have been working toward this point of stability. welp, now i'm here...how anticlimactic! 

i have gotten everything i have ever worked for...but why? it seems like i have gotten everything i think i SHOULD be working for. it's all confusing in my head, but my conclusion is...i am making it my life's goal to own/run a coffee shop. that epitomizes what i want to DO in this life: work in a place where people come to inspire and be inspired. a place where art and music and words and harmony come together and dwell. a place where the whole point is to just be still. and drink coffee.

tara, another friend from fossil, has also had this dream for a long time. we planned and conspired all day. tara, joshulyn and i are basically business partners now. i'm making this my new project, it may take me til i'm 30, but someday i want to be in the coffee shop business. i'm getting giddy just thinking about painting the walls...

love/miss/namaste.

0 comments: