Thursday, February 21, 2008

plans.

this past week i was able to have lunch with a friend who moved to connecticut last year. i consider him one of my very close friends because he has had a great impact on my spiritual life. every conversation we have, though they are few, Jesus is present. this dear friend brought a book with him to lunch and gave it to me, telling me that it changed his life. i am not a huge reader, but at this point in my life, i'm willing to jump into anything that will cause me to merely think about Christ more often. i find it hard to believe that one book can completely change the way you live your life, and i was curious. i had heard of this book before and it had the same description: "this book changed my life." it's called The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne. i am in the 3rd chapter. wow.


talk about radical. it was eerie the way i've used that word on a few occasions...and he uses it in this book. but good gosh...i didn't even KNOW what radical was. please please please buy/borrow/steal this book. it has already caused me to think and is truly challenging me.

when he gave me the book, it inspired me to go to half price books and pick up a few other reads so i could have a few things going at once. you know, spice it up...one spiritual book, a fun one, a learning book, etc... so here's what i got:

1. Living Yoga by Christy Turlington (yes, the supermodel); it's all about the origins of yoga and how it's a complete lifestyle - physical and spiritual. everything from poses to meditation to how to effectively arrange your furniture to channel positive energy. it's kind of autobiographical too, which is interesting, i'm learning a lot and it's pretty fascinating stuff.

2. The Fashion Book - a-mazing. it's the biggest fattest book ever and i had admired my professor's every time i visited her office. 

3. The Fashion Icon: the power and influence of graphic design - it's a book all about branding/merchandising/marketing - right up my alley.  

4. Cocktails - how to make lots of yummy drinkies

5. 3 movies: Dazed & Confused, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and Amile

I'm pretty excited about my purchases, i'm striving to be a very well rounded individual as far as knowledge goes. plus i'll never be bored with all these goodies.

i hope you all know how much i love going to each one of your pages and reading about your lives. somehow this makes me feel more connected and less scared about losing the friendships that are getting me through this thing called life...or my early twenties. love/miss.

namaste,

laura

ps. namaste is a term that means "I honor the One who lives inside you" 
cool huh? - got it from C-Turl.

4 comments:

Shivonne said...

i love your new take on the world, be more knowledgeable/insightful attitude! it's great and very inspiring...
it's funny how here without regular access to tv/guitar hero:(
/super nintendo/etc. you really learn to pick up books, have more conversations, just observe the world in general. it's a great feeling to know you are growing as a person. i'm definately going to check out that book- i need to pick up some soon because i've pretty much gone through the ones i've brought with me...love you!
p.s. totally agree about the blog thing. this was pretty much the best idea you've ever had!

Ivy said...

my love! i'm pretty sure you are either my soul mate or spritual twin or something:

1) we started prayer journaling again at the same time
2) i'm going through some sort of spritual revolution at the moment
3) i have reawoken the side of me that is obsessed with reading in just these last few days
4) my boyfriend is taller than yours (ha), but your boyfriend is still pretty tall.
5) i am now teaching a 7th grade girls church youth group sort of class and the youth paster and last nights service talked about that EXACT SAME BOOK! JUST LAST NIGHT!!! coincedence?! i think NOT. That's God hand! i must get this book ASAP!

i miss you SO much. please CALL ME BACK!!!

Dani Dias said...

namaste has always been one of my favorite words. the full origin of the word is pure beauty.

you should join our book club!! it can be another fun way to keep in touch! i never have anyone to talk books/random knowledge with. eee how exciting.

Whitney said...

aww i love this one. i am going to get my hands on this book as soon as possible. i miss you so much, and i wish we were in the same city where we could just sit down and have some talks about all of this stuff in person...but since we're not, this will do! but i want to talk to you on the phone really soon! im so proud of you for doing all of this personal growth stuff and reading! ive been trying to read some of C.S. Lewis's stuff, he writes alot of spiritual stuff. not gonna lie, some of it is pretty hard to read, but still good. i love and miss you!