Friday, June 5, 2009

gotta love that blogger

i had written the below post while i was in barcelona, but for some reason it never published. but low and behold, it saved to my drafts folder! now you can read my 2nd (and only other) vacation blog post and it doesn't have to be me trying to remember things after the trip is over. that post was written in the middle of all the action. 


sad story: since i have returned from vacation, i have become bitter. it's really depressing because i typically do not like to have a bad attitude, but i find myself just feeling pissed off. i loved the trip so much, it was so inspiring to be in a brand new place so different from my home. everything was lovely, it was like being in a dream. the people i met and the experiences i had over there really shook me up. i caught the travel bug, it's quite serious and i hope it's contagious - i'd love travel buddies.

but the whole reason why i'm bitter is my own fault honestly. i never studied abroad because i got too attached to Austin. i stuck with one major because that's how you graduate on time. i finished school on time because that's the responsible thing to do.  i frantically searched and landed a job right after college. literally - my first day at fossil was the monday after i graduated (on a saturday)! now that i've been working for a year, i realize all the things i WISH i could go back and do, for instance:

- double major in design in addition to merchandising. take more art / photography / graphic design / music appreciation courses.
- freaking study abroad. everywhere.
- take 2-6 months just to backpack all over europe after i graduated. it's really not that expensive if you're smart about it.
- do yoga and learn about the lifestyle - and live it.
-  once i did land a job, be smarter about money: actually contribute to my savings account and build an emergency fund.
- be cooler.

i hate the concept of regret, so i'm just going to say that the above is the advice i would give to a freshman in college. i'm still young, so who's to say i can't accomplish all that? there's a community college minutes from my apartment that offers all kinds of classes. i still have a job (thank you, jesus) and i can start being smarter with my money. and traveling. oh, how i will be traveling for the rest of my life...

shivonne, you're a freaking genious.

love/miss/namaste.

2 comments:

April Allen Buck said...

ditto on the travel bug! it's an itch i hope i'm never able to appropriately scratch. our tour of europe was amazing..but i feel like i don't even know my own country that well! i'd like to take a train somewhere..a city i've never been. travel buddy?

Shivonne said...

ooh me too! i was just thinking i needed to travel the states. i've only seen tiny bits and pieces and haven't had the chance to see it like a true tourist. everytime i meet an australian they always tell me 'crikey you've seen more of australia than me!' (okay maybe i gratuitously added the 'crikey' but you get the picture) and i'm the same with the usa. time to trip plan...