Tuesday, December 1, 2009

oh. hey, december.

well it's december first. and i lay my head down tonight knowing i tried my best, but i did not do my best. see, i had another encounter with CN.

after work i went to 24hour like a good little yogi (wannabe), so i got home around 7:28. it was dark. the rain fell steadily as i threaded the needle of my jeep in reverse into my parking spot at the condo. [sidenote - i suck at driving, but i guarantee i can park a car better than you]. i was chatting with my mom on the phone, when all of the sudden, i spotted him under a large umbrella watching his dog defecate 20 feet from me in my impeccably parked car: cute neighbor.

me: "mom i gotta go...cute neighbor."
mom: "say no more" click.

i quickly and carefully removed my (thank goodness, only 2) bags and closed the door. CN walked over to me and asked if i'd like some umbrella. this dude is seriously chivalrous, i'm swooning right now...he always seems to be helping me with something or other... anyway, i pop underneath his umbrella and decide that i'm going to be cool, calm, collective Laura and charm the living daylights out of him.

me: "thanks, you are so nice. how have you been, i haven't seen you around in a while?"
CN: "oh i was in iowa for the holidays, i just got back last night."
me: "are you originally from there?"
CN: "no, but my parents live there now. ellie loved it, she got to play with her cousins." (ellie is his black lab, i was petting her)
me: "oh cool. so.... did you drive...or..."
CN: [smiles] "oh yea."
[crickets]

pause. OF COURSE HE DROVE YOU SORRY EXCUSE FOR A COHERENT HUMAN BEING. action!

me: pretending that the last 20 seconds didn't happen..."thank you so much for your umbrella services." [he walked me all the way to my door! swoon and a half]
CN: "no problem at all" (quick smile, complete with sparkle teeth noise at the end of orbit commercials)
me: "i seem to be having bad luck with the rain lately. i keep forgetting to bring my umbrella with me when i leave my house. it's just hanging on my door handle and i never remember to bring it...
...and i just got this new patio furniture and i don't want it to get all soggy so my room is completely filled with all the cushions and stuff...so..."

oh lord. i've done it again.

CN: "yeah...ha...well, have a good night, Laura." walks away, probably confused. i kid you not, this is exactly what went down.

i'm not sure what i was trying to accomplish by sharing that information with him. it made sense in my mind, but when it came out there was an obvious disconnect that left me clumsily rambling. maybe it was my way of trying to lengthen our conversation? or maybe i just wanted him to be aware of my new sexy patio set (see previous post and be jeal, suckas). maybe i was so in shock by his repeatedly chivalrous encounters with me that i had to keep talking so i don't just stare. either way, i went inside and palm-slapped my forehead in disgust. i might as well have told him that i learned how to do the bug pose in yoga today. that may have turned things around...

irony - do you know what word i spelled correctly to win my 6th grade class spelling bee? answer: Awkward. i wish i was joking. lots of people forget the first 'w', but me and that word...we tight. obvi.

love/miss/namaste.

4 comments:

Ivy said...

you are so hilarious! and completley oblivious! CN is probably.. MOST likley.. in LOVE with you. :)

Allison said...

I for one love reading these posts. I can only imagine how funny it would be if you and CN became an item and you showed these posts to him. :)

The Sturgeon Family said...

haha you're posts are funny.... if this makes you feel any better, my mom and dad were neighbors in their apartment complex before they were married. They met at their apartment pool and were married 4 months later... :)

Unknown said...

FLIPPING. HILAR.

you are awesome and sweet and cute and funny and gorgeous and entertaining and clever annnnd awkward hahaha.

but awkwardness is my FAV :)

and ftr- he left you no choice bc he seems to be a man of few words. AH! those kind are a challenge. im proud you blabbered your little head off.