Saturday, December 15, 2007

...

I'm sitting in a dark, empty room on a blow-up mattress, my parents snoring 3 feet away. I'm not worried about waking them with the clicking of my laptop keys because of their incessant snoring and because they are so tired. So tired, in fact, that my dad still has his shoes on. We packed up my life here in Austin, and it's all sitting in a U-Haul outside our little house with the red door on Avenue B. 

Finishing high school is nothing like finishing college. Sure, there are similar changes: you're growing up, saying goodbye to loved ones and hello to a new, scary world, packing up your life...but nothing can prepare you for finishing college. It's harder. There's no promise of living in a community setting, or opportunities to easily make new friends, or ways to be an adult and a kid at the same time. You have to be an adult, period. I have often heard people say, "college was the best years of my life"... and then it hits. The "best years" that you've been living, that you looked forward to when you were young, are over. You realize that you agree with that statement and can only pray that it isn't true. I like to think that these "best years" will act as a catalyst to make us maintain the "best years of our life", keep them going on so that instead, you can say, "when I got to college, my life began."

Monday will be hard. I'm driving back to Arlington with the remains of my Austin-life packed in the seats of my jeep.

But it's alright, it's going to be alright. I know it will be. 

love.

4 comments:

Ivy said...

it will be okay. It will be great! Girl, "God's got your back!"
I love you laura dee. You'll see - we'll all be ok.

April said...

o laura. this fills me with all sorts of sad faces.

But your economy sized box of doggy potty pads makes me smile :)

i agree with ivy..it'll all be OK!

Heather said...

Can I just agree with April on the doggy potty pads....there is a ton of them...

Don't be sad! :)

Dani Dias said...

see. im a pessimist. i can't help but be sad and embrace the tears. life is changing and it is our job to keep the things that we want constant in our lives, and you are one of those things. i take the sadness and use it for fuel to make me keep contact, because in all reality it will be hard. it is hard enough for everyone to keep up with our friends that are on the 40 acre campus, much more one that is far away. but recognizing that i feel is half the battle, and important in the battle to keep people in our lives that we wish to. so go on laura and do yo thang, i know you are gonna shine, and ill be right there cheering you on.