Friday, December 28, 2007

Woman's Best Friend.

Today I took Boston to the veterinary clinic at 8AM. I made the decision not to breed her, so this particular appointment was to get her spayed (that's a puppy hysterectomy). She will be put under, have surgery, and stay overnight. The reason she must remain at the vet overnight is because she will be very groggy and tender, so exciting her with people attempting to care for her would not be good, vet policy. Don't worry, I left her blankie. In addition to this procedure, I asked the vet to clip her nails short (it's hard to do that when they're awake). Her adult teeth were not coming in properly so the vet will also have to pull some baby teeth. After I dropped her off and watched her get a big bad shot (that caused a horrifying shriek), I went back home and got back in bed and worried. A while later, I received a call from the vet saying that everything went well and that she's fine. Then came the "BUT". 


The incision on her tummy was supposed to be 1/4". However, she had bleeding problems, so he had to open her up a full inch (keep in mind that 1" on her is like a 6" gash on you). He then took skin from her leg to test it for mange (he had suspected it from some strange dry skin patches and small bump on her head)...which came back positive. He also had to pull some of her baby teeth that were restricting the growth of her new teeth. 

Long story short, my sweet little 5-lb baby Bostie is laying in a kennel with sore gums, a skinless leg, barely-there toenails, MANGE, 1 inch of stitches across her little pink belly, and no uterus. It makes me want to cry. 

Brady and I are going to pick her up in the morning at 8AM. If you're wondering what we're doing tomorrow, it's laying on the couch with Boston...all day. I feel so bad. 

4 comments:

Heather said...

Poor Boston....we send our love, just dope her up and she will be happy. I am sure it will be better when she is home....Mommy can make everything better!

April said...

that's a mommy's worry! she'll be healthier in the long run...just keep her chill and give her lots of snuggle time :)

Ivy said...

oh bostie!!! :( she'll be ok soon though! youll take great care of her!

Shivonne said...

ahhh i'm so sorry laura! i know boston is in good hands though...thanks so much for the call yesterday morning- i miss you like crazy!